Baer-test for Deafness in dalmatians

The incidence for deafness in dalmatians has been shown to be 8% with Bilateral deafness (deaf in both ears) & 22% with Unilateral deafness (deaf in one ear) of a total of 30% of all Dalmatians. Because the incidence of deafness is so high in dalmatians it is recommended that all breeding stock of dalmatians have their hearing tested & that pups be tested when weaned at 6-8 weeks of age, before they are sold. The definitive way to test is known as BAER (Brainstem Auditory-Evoked Response) testing, & can detect any loss of hearing in one or both ears. We are so lucky to have Baer machine in Iceland, and from the year 2020 it is available to test this breed and other animals for hearing at Dagfinnur dýralæknir

What Is BAER Hearing Testing?

The hearing test known as the brainstem auditory evoked response (BAER) or brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEP) detects electrical activity in the cochlea and auditory pathways in the brain in much the same way that an antenna detects radio or TV signals or an EKG detects electrical activity of the heart. The response waveform consists of a series of peaks numbered with Roman numerals: peak I is produced by the cochlear nerve and later peaks are produced within the brain.

From the year 2021 our puppies are BAER tested by an experienced veterinarian before being passed on to their loving homes to ensure the quality and consistency of the individual animal & the general bettering of the breed.

Since 2021, the Icelandic Kennel Club has set the Baer hearing exam as a requirement for breeding the breed  

© 2020  | All rights reserved
Powered by Webnode
Create your website for free!